Apartment Fire Caused By Smoking In Bed

An early morning apartment fire in Richland leaves one man out of his home and living with family

The fire started in the bedroom as a result of a lit cigarette.

Fire department investigators aren't sure if the man living there was actually smoking in bed or if he didn't properly put out his cigarette before falling asleep.

Firefighters got the call for a fire in an apartment on George Washington Way around 2:30 a.m.

The one person living in the apartment suffered minor smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene.

The bedroom and back hallway of the apartment have the most severe damage

The rest of the apartment has light smoke damage.

Richland Fire Captain Brenda Rogers said that the apartment did not have a working smoke detector.

She said smoke detectors can shave minutes off of a response time and if you don't have one all you have to do is call your local fire department they can provide you with one and install it.

Captain Rogers said if anyone is elderly or disabled they are happy to come out and change their batteries for them as well.

She said the batteries in smoke detectors should be replaced every year,  but replacing them every six months is even better.

Also the actual detector itself should be replaced every ten years.