Benefits of Proper
Brushing and Flossing
When should my child first see a dentist?
Most people understand regular visits to your dentist are important, but do you know the benefits of proper brushing and flossing at home? Having this information for you and your family can prevent serious dental problems down the road.
So, What Is Proper Brushing and Flossing?
- Make sure you brush your teeth at least twice a day. Encourage kids to brush after sweets as well.
- Use a soft toothbrush for your teeth; scrubbing harder does not make your teeth cleaner. In fact, it can damage your teeth and gums. Be gentle to your mouth!
- Use a fluoride toothpaste, and ask your dentist about fluoridated water in your area. Use a small pea size amount for children, more for adults.
- Don't forget to brush your tongue. Many germs live there that can cause bad breath and tooth decay.
- Floss every day. Teach your children to floss as well. You can either use traditional dental floss, or plastic flossing tools. Again, be gentle.
What are the Benefits of Proper Brushing and Flossing?
- Proper brushing and flossing prevents tooth decay and cavities.
- You can also prevent periodontal disease, which has recently been tied to your overall health and well being, including your heart health and the health of pregnant women.
- Taking care of your teeth now can save you money in the long run.
- Proper brushing and flossing can boost your self esteem and confidence, or that of your child's by providing you with a beautiful smile. Isn't that in itself, worth the effort?
How Can You Learn More About Proper Brushing and Flossing?
If you have questions about proper brushing and flossing, or need advice on teaching your children proper techniques, ask the professional staff at ACE Dental for assistance. They are always happy to answer questions and help you and your family take care of your teeth, so they can last a lifetime!